Tel: 0931 - 31 84427
My projects focus on a combination of microbiome ecology with bioinformatics and new sequencing technologies. I am very interested in investigation of patterns and structuring forces of microbial communities inhabitating various habitats. This interest applies to various levels, starting with abundance and diversity pattern of species/groups, over phylogenetics, towards environmental and spatial influences and lastly regarding organisms’ molecular interactions with each other on a metagenomic level. From a methodological perspective, my workgroup is currently developing and establishing novel molecular techniques to prepare ecological samples for NGS. This goes hand in hand with the corresponding analytical in silico workflows.
|2017||-||now||Privatdozent & Akad. Oberrat||Bioinformatics Dept. & CCTB, University of Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany|
|2013||-||now||Principal Investigator||Graduate School of Life Sciences, University of Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany|
|2011||-||2017||Young Investigator Group Leader||Molecular Biodiversity Group, Department of Animal Ecology and Tropical Biology, University of Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany|
|2014||-||2017||Habilitation Candidate||Faculty of Biology, University of Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany|
|2010||Visiting Scientist||Faculty of Biology and Health Services, Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, Edinboro, PA, USA|
|2008||-||2010||Graduate School Member||Elite Network Bavaria, Bavaria, Germany|
|2007||-||2010||PhD Candidate||Department of Bioinformatics, University of Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany|
|2007||Research Assistant||Department of Animal Ecology and Tropical Biology, University of Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany|
|2006||Visiting Scientist||Faculty of Science, University of Brunei Darussalam, Gadong, Brunei Darussalam|
|2005||Visiting Scientist||Hitoy Cerere National Park, Talamanca, Costa Rica|
|2004||-||2007||Diplom Candidate||Department of Animal Ecology and Tropical Biology|
|2001||-||2004||Vordiplom Candidate||Faculty of Biology, University of Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe, Germany|
2018[ to top ]
- The characterization of the circadian clock in the olive fly Bactrocera oleae (Diptera: Tephritidae) reveals a Drosophila-like organization. in Scientific Reports (2018). 8(1) 816.
- Physical contact between mesenchymal stem cells and endothelial precursors induces distinct signatures with relevance to the very early phase of regeneration. in Journal of Cellular Biochemistry (2018).
- FENNEC - Functional Exploration of Natural Networks and Ecological Communities. in Methods in Ecology and Evolution (2018). 2028–2033.
- Draft Genome Sequence of Paraburkholderia sp. Strain C35, Isolated from a Malaysian Tropical Peat Swamp Forest. in Genome announcements (2018). 6(25) e00561--18.
- Draft Genome Sequence of Klebsiella sp. Strain C31 Isolated from a Malaysian Tropical Peat Swamp Forest. in Genome announcements (2018). 6(25) e00560--18.
- Draft Genome Sequence of Dyella sp. Strain C9, Isolated from a Malaysian Tropical Peat Swamp Forest. in Microbiol Res Announc (2018). 7(12) e01083--18.
- Draft Genome Sequence of Dyella sp. Strain C11, Isolated from a Malaysian Tropical Peat Swamp Forest. in Genome announcements (2018). 6(25) e00459--18.
2017[ to top ]
- Release from prey preservation behavior via prey switch allowed diversification of cuticular hydrocarbon profiles in digger wasps. in Evolution (2017). in press
- Honey bee foraging ecology: Season but not landscape diversity shapes the amount and diversity of collected pollen. in PloS one (2017). 12(8) e0183716.
- Generalist social bees maximize diversity intake in plant species-rich and resource-abundant environments. in Ecosphere (2017). 8(3) e01758--n/a.
2016[ to top ]
- Silent listeners: Can preferences of eavesdropping midges predict the parasitism risk of their host? in Behavioral Ecology (2016). 27 995-1003.
- Pollen DNA barcoding: current applications and future prospects. in Genome (2016). 59 629-640.
- Laboratory rearing of solitary bees and wasps. in Insect Science (2016). 23 918.
- Draft genome of the Arabidopsis thaliana phyllosphere bacterium, Williamsia sp. ARP1. in Standards in Genomic Sciences (2016).
- DNA-Metabarcoding – ein neuer Blick auf organismische Diversität. in BioSpektrum (2016). 22 147-150.
- Crown galls of grapevine (Vitis vinifera) host distinct microbiota. in Applied and Environmental Microbiology (2016). 82 5542-5552.
- Contact of myeloma cells induces a characteristic transcriptome signature in skeletal precursor cells--Implications for myeloma bone disease. in Bone (2016). 93 155--166.
- biojs-io-biom, a BioJS component for handling data in Biological Observation Matrix (BIOM) format. in F1000Research (2016). 5 2348.
- bcgTree: automatized phylogenetic tree building from bacterial core genomes. in Genome (2016). 59 783-791.
- Bacterial Diversity and Community Structure in Two Bornean Nepenthes Species with Differences in Nitrogen Acquisition Strategies. in Microbial Ecology (2016). 71 938–953.
2015[ to top ]
- Reptiles as reservoirs of bacterial infections: real threat or methodological bias? in Microbial Ecology (2015). 70(3) 579-84.
- Monophyletic clades of Macaranga pollinating thrips with high specificity to host plant taxonomic sections. in Biological Journal of the Linnean Society (2015). 116(3) 558–570.
- Microhabitat heterogeneity across leaves and flower organs promotes bacterial diversity. in FEMS Microbiology Ecology (2015). 91(1) fiv09.
- ITS2 Database V: Twice as Much. in Mol. Biol. Evol. (2015). 32(11) 3030--3032.
- ITS2 Database V: Twice as Much. in Molecular Biology and Evolution (2015). 32(11) 3030-3032.
- Increased efficiency in identifying mixed pollen samples by meta-barcoding with a dual-indexing approach. in BMC Ecology (2015). 15 20.
- Functional and phylogenetic diversities of plant communities differently affect the structure of flower-visitor interactions and reveal convergences in floral traits. in Evolutionary Ecology (2015). 29 437-450.
- Evaluating multiplexed next-generation sequencing as a method in palynology for mixed pollen samples. in Plant Biology (2015). 17 558-566.
- DNA-analyses of Venerupis philippinarum (Adams and Reeve, 1850) with a new and constant shell-pattern from Italy, Emilia Romagna. in Malacologia (2015). 86(1) 30-32.
2014[ to top ]
- Pollen DNA barcoding using next-generation sequencing. in Barcode Bulletin (2014). 5(3) 8.
- Novel form of X-linked nonsyndromic hearing loss with cochlear malformation caused by a mutation in the type IV collagen gene COL4A6. in European Journal of Human Genetics (2014). (22) 208-215.
- Identification of WISP1 as an important survival factor in human mesenchymal stem cells. in Gene (2014). 551(2) 243-54.
- Density-dependent responses by bumblebees to flower dwelling bacteria. in Apidologie (2014). 45 467-477.
- Confirmation of warfarin resistance of naturally occurring VKORC1 variants by coexpression with coagulation factor IX and in silico protein modelling. in BMC Genetics (2014). 15 17.
- Computational integration of genomic traits into 16S rDNA microbiota sequencing studies. in Gene (2014). 549(1) 186-191.
2013[ to top ]
- Only distance matters--non-choosy females in a poison frog population. in Frontiers in Zoology (2013). 10(1) 29.
- Diverse microbiota identified in whole intact nest chambers of the red mason bee Osmia bicornis (Linnaeus 1758). in PloS one (2013). 8(10) e78296.
2012[ to top ]
- Common ancestry or environmental trait filters: cross-continental comparisons of trait--habitat relationships in tropical anuran amphibian assemblages. in Global Ecology and Biogeography (2012). 21(7) 704--715.
2011[ to top ]
- Internal transcribed spacer 2 (nu ITS2 rRNA) sequence-structure phylogenetics: towards an automated reconstruction of the green algal tree of life. in PLoS One (2011). 6(2) e16931.
- Hawaiian ant-flower networks: nectar-thieving ants prefer undefended native over introduced plants with floral defenses. in Ecological Monographs (2011). 81(2) 295--311.
- Composition of epiphytic bacterial communities differs on petals and leaves. in Plant Biology (2011). 13(6) 918--924.
2010[ to top ]
- The ITS2 Database III—sequences and structures for phylogeny. in Nucleic Acids Research (2010). 38(Suppl 1) D275--D279.
- Ribosomal RNA phylogenetics: the third dimension. in Biologia (2010). 65(3) 388--391.
- ITS2 sequence-structure phylogeny in the Scenedesmaceae with special reference to em Coelastrum em (Chlorophyta, Chlorophyceae), including the new genera em Comasiella em and em Pectinodesmusem. in Phycologia (2010). 49(4) 325--335.
- Including RNA secondary structures improves accuracy and robustness in reconstruction of phylogenetic trees. in Biol. Direct (2010). 5 4.
- Including RNA secondary structures improves accuracy and robustness in reconstruction of phylogenetic trees. in Biology Direct (2010). 5 4.
2009[ to top ]
- The importance of environmental heterogeneity for species diversity and assemblage structure in Bornean stream frogs. in Journal of Animal Ecology (2009). 78(2) 305--314.
- ITS2 secondary structure improves phylogeny estimation in a radiation of blue butterflies of the subgenus em Agrodiaetus em (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae: \em Polyommatus\em ). in BMC Evolutionary Biology (2009). 9(1) 300.
- Die Artenvielfalt der Amphibien in einem Tieflandregenwald auf Borneo. (2009). 80--83.
- A Bornean amphibian hotspot: the lowland mixed dipterocarp rainforest at Ulu Temburong National Park, Brunei Darussalam. in Salamandra (2009). 45 16--25.
- 5.8S-28S rRNA interaction and HMM-based ITS2 annotation. in Gene (2009). 430(1) 50--57.
2008[ to top ]
- ITS2 data corroborate a monophyletic chlorophycean DO-group (Sphaeropleales). in BMC Evolutionary Biology (2008). 8(1) 218.
- Geographic distribution: Xenodermus javanicus (Short Note). in Herpetological Review (2008). 39 373.
- Geographic distribution: Parias sumatranus (Short Note). in Herpetological Review (2008). 39 373.