The facility for electron cryo microscopy provides facilitated access to a Titan-Krios G3 with an X-FEG source, 300 kV and a Falcon III camera with direct electron detection. The set-up is optimized for high-resolution, high-throughput image acquisition for structure determination by single particle image analysis. Image acquisition can be in linear mode or in counting mode. The acquisition is automated using EPU and can run over several days withoout further intervention. Typical, data acquisitions take 1-3 days. Longer sessions can also be accommodated if needed .
The facility started in 2018. As of June 2022 it has served more than 30 groups from 10 different universities. A list of publications that made use of the facility is listed below.
Access is fee-based and regulated by access rules, which can be downloaded here.
If you are interested in access , need a quote or want to discuss your project: Please contact email@example.com
Publications that made use of the facility
- S. Endres, E. Karaev, S. Hanio, J. Schlauersbach, C. Kraft, T. Rasmussen, R. Luxenhofer, B. Bottcher, L. Meinel and A. C. Poppler (2022) Concentration and composition dependent aggregation of Pluronic- and Poly-(2-oxazolin)-Efavirenz formulations in biorelevant media. J Colloid Interface Sci 606, 1179-1192.
- L. T. Alexander, R. Lepore, A. Kryshtafovych, A. Adamopoulos, M. Alahuhta, A. M. Arvin, Y. J. Bomble, B. Bottcher, C. Breyton, V. Chiarini, N. B. Chinnam, W. Chiu, K. Fidelis, R. Grinter, G. D. Gupta, M. D. Hartmann, C. S. Hayes, T. Heidebrecht, A. Ilari, A. Joachimiak, Y. Kim, R. Linares, A. L. Lovering, V. V. Lunin, A. N. Lupas, C. Makbul, K. Michalska, J. Moult, P. K. Mukherjee, W. S. Nutt, S. L. Oliver, A. Perrakis, L. Stols, J. A. Tainer, M. Topf, S. E. Tsutakawa, M. Valdivia-Delgado and T. Schwede (2021) Target highlights in CASP14: Analysis of models by structure providers. Proteins
- V. J. Flegler, A. Rasmussen, K. Borbil, L. Boten, H. A. Chen, H. Deinlein, J. Halang, K. Hellmanzik, J. Loffler, V. Schmidt, C. Makbul, C. Kraft, R. Hedrich, T. Rasmussen and B. Bottcher (2021) Mechanosensitive channel gating by delipidation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 118, e2107095118.
- A. Grauel, J. Kagi, T. Rasmussen, I. Makarchuk, S. Oppermann, A. F. A. Moumbock, D. Wohlwend, R. Muller, F. Melin, S. Gunther, P. Hellwig, B. Bottcher and T. Friedrich (2021) Structure of Escherichia coli cytochrome bd-II type oxidase with bound aurachin D. Nat Commun 12, 6498.
- C. Grimm, J. Bartuli, B. Boettcher, A. A. Szalay and U. Fischer (2021) Structural basis of the complete poxvirus transcription initiation process. Nat Struct Mol Biol 28, 779-788.
- F. B. Heiss, J. L. Daiss, P. Becker and C. Engel (2021) Conserved strategies of RNA polymerase I hibernation and activation. Nat Commun 12, 758.
- C. Makbul, V. Khayenko, H. M. Maric and B. Bottcher (2021) Conformational Plasticity of Hepatitis B Core Protein Spikes Promotes Peptide Binding Independent of the Secretion Phenotype. Microorganisms 9, 956.
- C. Makbul, C. Kraft, M. Grießmann, T. Rasmussen, K. Katzenberger, M. Lappe, P. Pfarr, C. Stoffer, M. Stöhr, A.-M. Wandinger and B. Böttcher (2021) Binding of a Pocket Factor to Hepatitis B Virus Capsids Changes the Rotamer Conformation of Phenylalanine 97. Viruses 13, 2115.
- V. J. Flegler, A. Rasmussen, S. Rao, N. Wu, R. Zenobi, M. S. P. Sansom, R. Hedrich, T. Rasmussen and B. Bottcher (2020) The MscS-like channel YnaI has a gating mechanism based on flexible pore helices. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 117, 28754-28762.
- C. Makbul, M. Nassal and B. Bottcher (2020) Slowly folding surface extension in the prototypic avian hepatitis B virus capsid governs stability. Elife 9, e57277.
- K. Stokes, A. Winczura, B. Song, G. Piccoli and D. B. Grabarczyk (2020) Ctf18-RFC and DNA Pol form a stable leading strand polymerase/clamp loader complex required for normal and perturbed DNA replication. Nucleic Acids Res 48, 8128-8145.
- J. Wiest, J. Kehrein, M. Saedtler, K. Schilling, E. Cataldi, C. A. Sotriffer, U. Holzgrabe, T. Rasmussen, B. Bottcher, M. Cronin-Golomb, M. Lehmann, N. Jung, M. Windbergs and L. Meinel (2020) Controlling Supramolecular Structures of Drugs by Light. Mol Pharm 17, 4704-4708.
- N. Famelis, A. Rivera-Calzada, G. Degliesposti, M. Wingender, N. Mietrach, J. M. Skehel, R. Fernandez-Leiro, B. Böttcher, A. Schlosser, O. Llorca and S. Geibel (2019) Architecture of the mycobacterial type VII secretion system. Nature 576, 321-325.
- C. Grimm, H. S. Hillen, K. Bedenk, J. Bartuli, S. Neyer, Q. Zhang, A. Huttenhofer, M. Erlacher, C. Dienemann, A. Schlosser, H. Urlaub, B. Böttcher, A. A. Szalay, P. Cramer and U. Fischer (2019) Structural Basis of Poxvirus Transcription: Vaccinia RNA Polymerase Complexes. Cell 179, 1537-1550 e19.
- T. Rasmussen, V. J. Flegler, A. Rasmussen and B. Böttcher (2019) Structure of the Mechanosensitive Channel MscS Embedded in the Membrane Bilayer. J Mol Biol 431, 3081-3090.
- B. Song, J. Lenhart, V. J. Flegler, C. Makbul, T. Rasmussen and B. Böttcher (2019) Capabilities of the Falcon III detector for single-particle structure determination. Ultramicroscopy 203, 145-154.
- A. Thesseling, T. Rasmussen, S. Burschel, D. Wohlwend, J. Kagi, R. Muller, B. Böttcher and T. Friedrich (2019) Homologous bd oxidases share the same architecture but differ in mechanism. Nat Commun 10, 5138.